One can easily connect the dots between driving and back pain. Fifty percent of drivers questioned for a study replied that their backache was caused or exacerbated by sitting for hours behind the wheel. Their responses did not surprise the researchers. Here’s why.
A vast majority of vehicle seats push our ‘sitting bones‘ beneath our knees. This places a massive load on the discs in our lower back. It also stretches and fatigues our ligaments and muscles. That means that if you travel for long hours regularly, it’s only a matter of time before something in your back is strained.
Which is why you could do with the best car seat massagers. Some of them will only passively massage your back and shoulders. Others will plug into your vehicle outlet and use vibration to provide comfort. Still others would give the option of heat therapy too. Read on to know more.
Best Car Seat Massager in 2021 – Reviews and Buying Guide
The Zyllion Back and Neck Massager has an S-shaped design that contours to the shape of your spine and body. It comes with Velcro straps to let you attach it to your car seat, office chair, bedroom sofa, or recliner. You can even connect this massager to your dining chair.
Yet another unique selling point of this product is its adjustability. Its massage nodes can be moved up and down (up to 8.5″) using arrows on the included remote control. This helps this product provide a full-body massage, including your legs, hips, spine, and neck area.
Equally useful is its user-intuitive remote control. It contains icons using which you can activate neck massage, back massage, and lower-back massage. Also there are options to let you select massage speed, the direction of the massage, and vibration intensity.
That is not all. The remote control contains separate heat functions for your neck and back areas too. It also lets you decide whether you want the massager’s neck nodes to move forward or reverse. And the best thing about it? It’s effortless to use.
- User-friendly remote control
- Adjustable height and speed
- Soothing heat function
- Multiple massage modes
- Lightweight and foldable
Why We Like It:
The Zyllion Back and Neck Massage seat for cars provides a full body massage, offers multiple massage modes and heat functions, and is ultra-portable.
Here is a budget-friendly car massager that belittles its low asking price with high-end features. Foremost among them are its three massage zones. Each of them relies on Shiatsu massaging to relax the tense muscles in your upper back, lower back and full back, respectively.
All three also have 3D massage nodes and an optional heat function. The former will make you feel as if a real-life masseuse is working their magic on your back. The heat function, meanwhile, will aid the vibrating nodes in soothing and refreshing tired muscles.
Also on offer is a remote control. It contains three timer options – 10 mins, 20 mins, 30 mins – to let you select your massage duration. An AC/DC adapter enables you to use this product while you’re at home and an auto-shutoff timer minimizes the risk of overheating.
- Has a heat function
- Equipped with an auto-timer
- Attached remote controller
- AC/DC adapter included
- Can be used on any seat
Why We Like It:
The Naipo Back Massage Seat Cushion is available at a competitive asking price but still has all the features that separate the best car massagers from the ordinary ones.
Here is one of those units that can safely be categorized as a ‘bare bones’ massager. Mainly because it doesn’t include a remote control in its package. But also because it doesn’t have any roller balls and doesn’t offer a kneading massage. Then why are we recommending it?
Start with its air bags compression technology. This product has built-in air bags that gently squeeze against your neck, back, hips and thighs. You can either rely on the pressure they apply to relieve the tension in your muscles. Or you can activate the optional heat function to achieve the same result.
Then comes the massage chair pad. Its auto-shutoff function prevents overheating and the thermostat helps you keep an eye on the temperature at all times. The chair pad also has 4 adjustable elastic straps to let you fasten it around any chair you want.
- Air bags compression technology
- Optional heat function
- Can be moved up and down
- Comes with 4 elastic straps
- Backed by a 30-day moneyback guarantee
Why We Like It:
The Slothmore Back Massager is equipped with air bags compression technology, offers optional heat function, and is backed by a 30-day moneyback guarantee.
Would your back and bottom benefit from therapeutic heat? Especially when you’re sitting for long hours behind the wheel? Then you must check out the Giantex Memory Foam Massage Seat Cushion. This ultra-affordable car seat heater and massager comes with too many features to not be helpful.
It is equipped with 6 vibration motors, offers 5 massage programs and has three intensity settings. All of them join their forces to target specific areas on your lower, middle and upper back. And you can also adjust this product’s height to let them focus on your neck, hip and thighs as well.
Equally worthy of your attention is its heated seat cushion and a non-slip bottom. The former delivers instant comfort to your buttocks and keeps you comfy when it’s cold out there. As for the non-slip base, it’s supported by a resilient memory foam to deliver next-level comfort.
- Five massage programs
- Multiple intensity settings
- Heated seat cushion with lumbar support
- Non-slip bottom
- 12V car adapter and 110V/240V home adapter
Why We Like It:
The car seat massager with heat has all the features that will keep your muscles tension-free and your whole body relaxed on long trips.
The Sotion Seat Massager is one of those portable models that you can quickly transfer between your car seat, home couch, and office chair. It’s a relaxing cushion that targets your entire back, including the thighs, shoulders and hips, without charging an astronomical asking price for its services.
This massager comes with a heat-therapy function that does what its name implies. It is also equipped with 10 vibrating motors to provide a full back massage. Thanks to its five massage modes and three intensity settings, you can set it according to your preferences.
The included straps will help you fasten it around any chair you want. An auto-shutoff function, meanwhile, keeps the risk of overheating at bay. And the fact that it’s foldable means you can easily stow this massager in your car’s trunk once you’re done using it for the day.
- Ten vibrating nodes target specific spots
- Five massage modes and three intensity settings
- Allows you to use heat function without massage
- Foldable and easy to transport between locations
Why We Like It:
The Sotion Seat Massager comes with all the vibrating nodes and intensity settings it needs to target specific areas on one’s back, shoulder and thighs.
The Comfier Shiatsu Neck & Back Massager is a 5-in-1 device that provides full body massage. It uses 2D/3D finger pressure shiatsu to relieve muscle tension in the shoulders and neck areas. It also has soft rollers that alleviate muscle tightness in your back and lower back.
Then there’s the evergreen combo of vibration and heat functions. Both of them work in tandem to increase blood flow and heal damaged muscles. The heat function, in particular, raises the temperature of the neck and shoulder areas to free both from pressure points.
You cannot ignore the importance of its air massager function as well. Known for aiding in blood circulation, it specifically provides deep-tissue massage to your hips and lower-waist. You also have the option to increase/decrease the intensity of air massage based on your preference.
- Five-in-one operation
- Shiatsu neck & shoulder massage
- Full-body deep kneading massage
- Waist and lower-waist deep tissue massage
- Adjustable speed and intensity settings
- Detachable and washable neck flap
Why We Like It:
The Comfier Shiatsu Neck & Back Massager offers a five-in-one operation to soothe tension by easing muscles in your entire body.
The COMFIER Neck Back & Neck Shiatsu Massage Cushion Pad is an excellent choice for those who are searching for a premium option. Its six-node design makes full use of your limited massage time by stimulating muscles on both sides of your spine. That’s not where the good news ends.
This massager’s shiatsu massage technique relieves muscle tightness and soothes aching muscles. The three massage zones let you target any area you want in your back. That includes those in your spine, shoulder area, neck, hips, and thighs.
It also lets you turn any chair into a massage chair with its integrated strapping system. The bottom-facing side of this product is anti-skid to keep it steady on slippery surfaces. You also get straps using which you can buckle yourself while sitting on this cushion pad.
- Six-node massage cushion
- Three back massage zones
- Height-adjustable rolling nodes
- Anti-skid and anti-rewind bottom
- Washable neck cover and fall-protection straps
Why We Like It:
Other car seat massagers included in this review have straps to fasten them to a chair. This one has buckles that will keep this massage cushion pad from slipping underneath you.
Benefits of Using Car Seat Massagers
Here are the various health-related benefits of using massage seat for cars:
- Reduces muscle soreness: Medical experts tell us that massage, by increasing blood flow to the damaged fibers, assist in the healing of sore muscles. They also reduce painful muscle spasms by relaxing muscle tissue.
- Lowers stress levels: Ever wondered why your shoulders seem to be ‘compressed’ when you’re feeling anxious? Because there is a two-way relationship between stress and muscle tension. A relaxing massage, by helping your body relax, lowers your stress levels.
- Improves blood circulation: Massage improves blood circulation by causing congested areas in our skin to open up. This creates space for blood to flow in and provides us with the benefits of improved blood circulation.
- Alleviates mood: Most people don’t know why they feel better after getting a nice, relaxing massage in the spa. That’s because they aren’t aware that regular massages force our body to release endorphin, aka the feel-good hormones.
Car Seat Massager Buying Guide
You need to consider multiple factors when choosing a car seat massager:
Type of massage
Most auto seat massagers offer different one or both of these types of massage:
Such massagers come with rolling nubs to copy the finger-pressing technique that expert massagers use to alleviate discomfort in their patients’ backs. They are a great option to have if you want to get rid of your pain, improve your body’s blood circulation and boost your energy levels.
However, medical experts recommend that certain individuals take their doctor’s advice before receiving a Shiatsu massage. They include pregnant women, people with heart disease or osteoporosis, and others who have recently undergone radiation or chemotherapy.
Vibration massagers press and release the tissues in your back. They apply a shaking and vibrating motion onto the muscles to help them relax and loosen up. Increasing the speed of vibration can also stimulate your blood flow and give your energy levels a shot in the arm
The beneficial effects of receiving a vibration massage aren’t limited to our muscles. Various studies have concluded that by helping the body relax, it also lowers our stress levels. And the best thing about receiving a vibration massage? It’s fully safe as long as the intensity of vibrations isn’t too high.
Number of speed or intensity settings
Some massagers that you see in this review offer a single-speed setting. The majority lets you pick from multiple intensity options. Which of the two should you choose? It depends on the type of massage you’d like to have every now and then. Here’s what we mean by this point.
Go for a single-setting or lower settings massager if you only want to relax after a long day at work. Such models are available on a budget and are easy to use too. You won’t have to bother reading their manual to know how to operate them.
That isn’t the case with a higher-settings massager. These units come with multiple massage zones – and vibrating motors – that let them provide a deep and invigorating massage. You can count on them to eliminate muscle tension, reduce stress and make your back feel incredibly relaxed.
How can you be sure the seat massager you’re looking at is safe to use? You can either take the manufacturer’s claim that their product won’t cause any harm at face value. Or you could look for the following features that will prevent the model having them from causing any injury.
- Auto-shutoff function: The auto-shutoff function does precisely what its name implies. It shuts down the massager after a specific period of time – usually 15 minutes – to save your skin and muscles from overexposure to the massager’s motors or nodes.
- Temperature control: This feature is a must-have in massagers that are equipped with a heated function. It will allow you to set the unit at a temperature at which it cannot overheat or burn your skin.
Here are other features that you might want in your auto seat massager:
- Heat function: You can expect various benefits from a heat massage, including an improved blood flow to the targeted area, enhanced muscle flexibility, and reduced muscle spasms. It may also improve your range of motion.
- AC and DC adapter: Want to get your hands on a seat massager you can also use when you aren’t traveling? Then you might want to invest in a model that comes with an AC & DC adapter.
- Hand controller: Most of you will already be aware of why it’s important. A handheld remote will let you increase or decrease the massager’s vibration intensity, activate multiple massage zones, and turn the device on/off.
- Integrated strapping system: Here’s a feature that will let you attach your car seat heater and massager to your home or office chair. All you have to do is wrap the straps around your chair and fasten them using the included buckles.
Q: Do car seat massagers really work?
The best car seat massagers have been shown to relieve pains and aches, alleviate muscle soreness and improve blood circulation. They also give their users’ mood a shot in the arm and bring down their stress levels too. All of this is to say that car seat massagers do work.
Q: Can I add massage seats to my car?
You can add massage seats to virtually any vehicle you see on the road. That includes your average passenger car, SUVs, trucks, vans and even pickups. Just make sure that your car seat’s measurements (length and width) match those of the massage seat.
Q: How often should you use a car seat massager?
Using the massager once or twice a day – in sessions ranging between 15 and 20 minutes – is more than enough to relieve the tension in your muscles. Don’t overdo the massage, or else you may experience adverse side effects such as inflammation and bruising.